“We believe the future of grocery stores won’t be about choosing between shopping online and shopping in-store — consumers will have both,” said Instacart CEO Fidji Simo. “The launch of Connected Stores is Instacart’s Another exciting step forward as we partner with retailers to help create the future of grocery. Through these technologies, we can now offer consumers the best in-store online shopping and vice versa. Ultimately , we believe that the more customers connect with the grocer through the online and in-store experience, the more the retailer’s business will grow.”
“In today’s competitive environment, grocers need a technology partner that can help them digitally transform in a way that reflects and enhances their unique identity while delighting customers,” said Jordan Spear, Research Director, Product Sourcing, Fulfillment, and Sustainability at IDC. “Omnichannel offerings like Instacart’s modular connected store create opportunities for grocers of all sizes to innovate in store and provide a seamless online and in-store experience.”
Six new Instacart platform technologies power the connected store:
- New capes: Equipped with scales, sensors, touchscreens and computer vision, these AI-powered smart carts are powered by our proprietary scanless technology, so customers can navigate stores and checkout themselves without having to manually scan items. The new model of Caper Cart is smarter and lighter than the previous version, with a 65% increase in capacity. The new Caper Cart features stack charging, allowing grocery stores to charge multiple batches of carts at once, eliminating the need to separately charge carts or replace batteries.
- Scan code to pay: Scan & Pay allows customers to scan items while shopping and pay from their phone so they can skip the checkout line. It can also link your in-store purchases to your customers’ online shopping accounts, making it easy to buy again. For EBT SNAP users, Scan & Pay can easily identify EBT SNAP eligible products once scanned, making it easier to identify approved products.
- List: With Lists, customers can sync their shopping lists directly to Caper Cart from the Instacart app or the grocer’s Instacart-powered app or website by scanning a QR code. Caper Cart helps customers find items they want to buy and automatically removes them from the list when they are added to the cart.
- Carrot Labels: With Carrot Tag, retailers can connect electronic shelf labels to the Instacart platform to add features such as pick-to-light, making it easier for customers, employees or Instacart shoppers to select an item on their mobile phone and flash the corresponding shelf label Find the product they are looking for. Carrot labels can also help retailers display key information—such as whether a particular product is gluten-free, organic, kosher, or EBT SNAP compliant—for inspiration and product discovery in stores. Carrot Tags supports an ecosystem of electronic shelf label partners including SES-imagotag + VUSION.
- FoodStorm department orders: FoodStorm’s Order Management System (OMS) helps retailers manage orders for items such as baked goods, hot meals, and deli sandwiches while customers shop. The new departmental order enables the different prepared food departments within the store to collaborate so they can have their customers’ orders ready at the right time.
- Out of Stock Insights: Out of Stock Insights is an API that helps retailers provide automated real-time alerts to employees when items are out of stock or out of stock. For retailers, this reduces missed sales opportunities; for customers, it increases their chances of finding exactly what they’re looking for.
Partnership with Good Food Holdings for Connected Stores
Additionally, Instacart and Good Food Holdings announced today that they are collaborating to build the first connected store at their Bristol Farm location. Irvine, California. Utilizing its Storefront Pro e-commerce solution, Instacart will power Bristol Farms’ online store and connect it to their brick-and-mortar store. All six elements of Connected Stores will come together to provide a seamless experience for customers at the store, which will open in the coming months.
“At Good Food Holdings, we are proud to offer our customers a personalized shopping experience – whether they choose to build a basket online or join us in-store. As customers have adopted delivery and pickup over the past year, cargo approach, we find it increasingly important to grow our business with the most cutting-edge omnichannel customers,” he said Neil Stern, CEO of Good Food Holdings. “As we look to grocery stores over the next decade, we want to ensure that we provide customers with an inspiring shopping journey – and that starts with building a connected store. In partnership with Instacart, we’re excited to introduce multiple checkout options using Caper Cart and Scan & Pay. way, while being inspired by Lists and Carrot Tags. Instacart is an innovator in grocery technology and we are delighted to be their partner and launch the first connected store at Bristol Farms this year.”
Retailer offers that support connected stores
“As a small family-run Italian specialty market, it’s important that we have the right infrastructure to provide a seamless shopping experience and grow our food and beverage business,” said John Asirno, owner of Joseph Classic Market. “Previously, we had to physically print production logs to align and manage orders across departments, which was a time-consuming and inefficient process. Now, with Instacart and FoodStorm’s technical support department orders, we can be more collaborative and more efficient as a team. Well done for ours by unlocking an easier way for people to order their favorite deli sandwiches.”
“Technology is revolutionizing the grocery industry, and this partnership with Instacart is helping us unlock and adapt innovative solutions that shape the in-store experience for our customers,” said Cheryl Williams, Chief Information Officer of Wakefern Food Corp. “We’re excited to launch Instacart’s newest Caper Cart in our stores and provide customers with a more personalized and seamless way to shop and check out.”
“With Instacart’s Carrot Tags technology, we can seamlessly integrate electronic shelf labels and place them directly on our shelves, helping Instacart shoppers track hard-to-find products and making store navigation easier – enabling them to offer great customer service, says bob hurst, Chief Information and Supply Chain Officer at Schnucks. “We know that a successful online grocery store requires a blend of technology and human touch, and our partnership with Instacart helps ensure we always meet customer needs while inspiring inspiration in our stores and online.”
Instacart to unveil its connected store tech at Groceryshop 2022 this week Las Vegas, retailers and partners can explore more information at booth #907.To learn more about connected stores online, visit www.instacart.com/company/connected-stores. To learn more about the Instacart platform, visit www.instacart.com/company/platform.
Instacart, the leading grocery tech company North America, partnering with grocers and retailers to change the way people shop. The company partners with more than 900 national, regional and local retail brands to provide online shopping, delivery and pickup services to more than 75,000 stores in more than 13,000 cities in China. North America at the Instacart marketplace. Instacart empowers millions of busy people and families to get the groceries they need from their favorite retailers and lets more than 600,000 Instacart shoppers earn by picking, packing and delivering orders for customers on their own flexible schedule income. The Instacart platform provides retailers with a suite of enterprise-grade technology products and services to enhance their e-commerce experience, fulfill orders, digitize brick-and-mortar stores, serve ads and gather insights. With Instacart Ads, thousands of CPG brands — from category leaders to emerging brands — partner with companies to connect directly with online consumers at the point of purchase.For more information, please visit www.instacart.com/companyto start shopping, visit www.instacart.com. For anyone interested in becoming an Instacart shopper, please visit https://shoppers.instacart.com/.